When choosing a hot water system there are some basic questions which need to be answered.
What is the home owner trying to achieve?
(i) Does the home owner want to save money?
With rebates, some solar hot water systems and heat pumps will be cheaper to install than a you think. However, while solar hot water systems and heat pumps use less energy they can be more expensive to service and repair Than gas hot water systems. If you live in Canberra and you have gas connected to your home it is more likely that gas hot water would be the most economical option over the long term.
Our experience shows that when homeowners compare the total costs over the life of all hot water systems they will find they are equal.
(ii) Does the home owner want to reduce household green house emissions?
If the answer to this question is no then the home owner should stay with their current hot water system or move to a hot water system that is cheaper to install.
If the answer to this question is yes then the home owner should consider a high efficiency gas hot water system or a heat pump before they choose an electric boosted solar hot water system with panels. Research shows that high efficiency gas hot water systems or heat pumps generally have lower carbon footprints than electric boosted solar hot water systems.
If the home owner wants a hot water system that has the lowest carbon footprint they should seriously consider a post boosted gas solar hot water system with panels. However these can be very expensive to install when compared all other hot water systems.
(iii) What is the home owner’s budget?
We can provide the homeowner a quote for a range of hot water systems that fit within their budget.
A like for like changeover, which is the same as changing an electric to electric or gas to gas, is the cheapest installation option. Even off peak electricity for hot water is dearer than gas for hot water. When considering installation costs, repair costs and energy costs, changing from gas to gas is the cheapest long term hot water option.
Solar energy for hot water is by far the cheapest energy option. However, given the high installation costs and maintenance costs , solar hot water is the dearest long term hot water option.
When buying a hot water system it is best to consider your budget over the long term.
(iv) Continuous Flow/Instantaneous hot water systems
- Are Continuous Flow/Instantaneous hot water systems better than Gas storage hot water systems? Read More here
- Tips For Getting Instantaneous Hot Water
Did you know?
When choosing a hot water system don’t choose a hot water system that is too big for your needs as you will only waste energy. A small quick recovery hot water system will save you installation costs and running cost.
Use the link to the dux hot water site to choose a system that is the right size for your specific needs.
When choosing a solar hot water system use the REC’s as a guide to how efficient it will be. Compare the REC’s to a hot water system of a similar storage capacity. The higher the REC’s the more efficient the system will be.
When choosing a water efficient hot water system, storage models are best.
Research shows that high efficiency gas hot water systems or heat pumps generally have lower carbon footprints than electric boosted solar hot water systems.
You should check the relief valve at the top of the hot water system every six months to see if it is operational. Have the relief valve replaced every 5 years.
In areas of high water pressure a pressure limiting device will increase the life of one of your most expensive household appliances.
With rebates, heat pumps and some solar hot water systems with panels can be cheaper to install that an electric or gas hot water system.
When it comes to solar hot water systems with panels the rule of thumb is – the lower the carbon footprint the higher the installation costs will be.
Reasons why homeowners should choose us for Hot water
The reason home owners should choose 6-Star Hot Water & Plumbing for all of their solar, gas and electric hot water system needs is that our owner Robert Edwards is a former president of The Master Plumber’s Drainer’s and Gasfitter’s Association of the ACT and a former Director of Master Plumbers Australia.
He guarantees that he can provide –
- Prompt service from a locally owned business – Hot water restored the same day in 90% of all cases.
- A longer life for your new solar, gas or electric hot water system and lower running costs – When we install new solar, gas or electric hot water system we install new control valves and connections. This prevents unnecessary repairs and maintenance. We also install pressure limiting valves to your new solar, gas or electric hot water system installation. This helps reduce the stress on the inner cylinder and safety valve. By doing this we will save you hundreds of dollars over the life of the hot water system. It will also save wear and tear on your taps and will reduce hot water consumption.
- Experienced tradespeople – We have been servicing and installing solar, gas and electric hot water systems since 1985.
- Responsible tradespeople – We don’t use sub-contractors. Your health and safety are important to us.
- Good workmanship and value for your money – We know that doing the job right the first time will make the hot water system last longer and save our customers hundreds of dollars in maintenance and operating costs over the life of the hot water system.
- Competitive rates – We constantly monitor our competitors and suppliers prices and service to ensure the best pricing for our customers.
- Honesty – We will give you the best advice to help you choose a solar, gas or electric hot water system that is right for your household. We will not try to sell you a hot water system on the grounds that it makes us the most money.
- Convenience – You don’t have to do a thing. We will order your new solar, gas or electric hot water system, make sure it complies to all ACT and NSW plumbing regulations and do all of the paper work to help you get all of the rebates you are entitled to.
- Tradespeople who keep you informed – We will keep you informed regarding our progress when restoring your hot water. We dislike giving our customers bad news. We like to keep you in the loop all of the way through the job.
- Up to date information – We are kept up to date by ACTPLA regarding any changes in local hot water system regulations. The ACT Master Plumber’s Drainer’s and Gasfitter’s Association constantly updates us with any technological breakthroughs.
- Reliable warranty, service and backup- We are a locally owned business and we do not use sub-contractors. Therefore, when something goes wrong we fix it and we fix it fast. We like to keep our customers happy.
- Hot Water Brands that we support